Betting the Jockey…. and not getting screwed. Stratum’s recent podcast interview with Resource Insider
Not sure if you caught the podcast of our MD Will Coetzer’s sit-down with Jamie Keech from Resource Insider last week?
If you don’t know Jamie, he’s a Cambourne School of Mines Master’s degree Mining Engineer-turned-Mining Financier on a mission to help resources industry investors, well, for the lack of a better word, not get screwed so often.
But how does this relate to both yourself and Stratum, you might ask?
As someone that’s worked as a mining engineer for leading producers and developers across the world, and in more recent years as a mining financier, Jamie appreciates the “bet the jockey” adage is a rather a fitting way to look at mining companies from the top down.
We certainly agree, having worked on every continent and in more than 50 countries around the world. We’ve all seen good operations or projects fail, and we’ve seen marginal ones succeed. Why? The right people are often the crucial differentiator.
And since almost all our contacts at Stratum are either hiring managers themselves or specialise in hiring professionals into their organisations, we thought you might find value in the podcast.
While we covered quite a few topics, the below points summarise the main content of the podcast:
- How to identify and retain top-tier talent.
- Applying metrics when evaluating leaders.
- How psychometric assessments can help determine a team’s success.
- Why leaders/hiring managers rarely need what they say they want from new hires.
- Why the traditional recruitment model is destined to fail so often, and how to avoid it.
- Questions to ask yourself when engaging a recruitment partner, to help de-risk the process and set you up for success.
- The coming skills shortage in the space.
Here’s a link to the Podcast.
We hope you enjoy it and trust that you’ll find it valuable.